April 6, 2017
DaS 2017 - Complexity: Tackling the Conundrums of Sustainability
The Design and Sustainability (DaS) Symposium is a leadership exploration of the future of design and
sustainability software for sustainable products, infrastructure, and environments.
COFES is a unique gathering of leaders representing diverse industry sectors with strategic interest in software. The DaS Symposium exists within that community to focus on
sustainability. It reaches across disciplines and industries as it explores solutions to the sustainability challenge.
DaS 2017 will foster a rich dialogue to give each of us a new way to think about:
What can I do—personally, professionally, and in community—to meaningfully address one or more of the following issues of sustainability?
The day will consist of four plenary sessions led by conversation leaders, to spark dialogue on four aspects of sustainability:
1. WATER: How can we meet the global need for clean water, through four lenses:
2. WASTE: Can waste reduction contribute to sustainability?
- Macro vs. Micro Scale
- First World vs. Third World
- Population Centers vs. Remote Outposts
- Robust Infrastructure vs. No Infrastructure
- Raw Materials: How do we maintain a sustainable supply?
- Weight: Can reducing the weight of the things we design reduce their environmental impact?
- Energy: Can we reduce consumption in extraction, in manufacturing, in the products we make?
- Supply Chain: How do we reduce the hidden waste in moving things?
- Is the First Law of Thermodynamics a useful metaphor for building sustainable economies?
- Growth vs. sustainability: Is a sustainable economy synonymous with a zero-growth economy?
- Alternative currencies: Can we barter our way to sustainability?
- How do we equip engineering automation tools with sustainability design/analysis capabilities?
- What are the unintended consequences of automation?
- How can the benefits of technology accrue to the greatest number of people?
DaS Symposium 2017 Program Committee
Ken Hall, Co-Chair, Gensler
Michael Tardif, Co-Chair, Building Informatics
Scott Brinks, Trans-Trade
Tord Dennis, WSP Environment & Energy
Cassandra Elwell, aspire.capital
Robert “Doc” Hall, Compression Institute
Jack Ring, Cyon Research
Dana “Deke” Smith, Cyon Research
The goal of the DaS Symposium is to bring sustainability to the forefront of the conversation among software developers and to
look for opportunities and issues that may be best served by the industry as a whole, rather than by individual players within the industry. We hope to inspire, raise awareness, build relationships and
seek sustainable synergies.
Founding members of The DaS Symposium include Autodesk, buildingSMART Alliance, CIFE, Cyon Research, Gensler, PTC, Siemens, SolidWorks, and Sustainable Minds.